Sydney Relationship and Depression Counsellor
I am a fully qualified and registered professional counsellor who specialises in working with relationships, self-esteem, depression, anxiety and anger issues and parenting strategies. It is generally believed that to be an effective counsellor, it is important to have been through a therapy process yourself. Attending counselling myself as a client, I have sought to more fully understand myself and to experience counselling from the other side so I can more easy identify and support my clients.
I offer a supportive environment with a respectful and warm attitude to helping you explore yourself, your past experiences and your current situation. I am a fully Qualified Counsellor with majors in Relationship Counselling and Conflict Resolution as well as Child Development and Effective Parenting. Whilst I offer help for a range of issues, I have a particular interest in helping those individuals experiencing depression, self-esteem issues, anxiety, relationship problems and anger issues.
I have experienced personally, the trauma that depression can cause and the problems it can create for both the individual suffering this illness and those close to them. Through these personal experiences and working with many clients that have suffered this illness, I have great empathy and understanding for clients that are experiencing depression. A large part of the success I have in helping clients with the treatment of depression, is in playing a supportive role that allows clients to feel that they are not facing this alone.
Working with a counsellor that has life experience in these areas helps to promote trust and self-compassion and allows individuals to fully explore themselves and learn how to create a future that is free of depression.
I strongly believe that the life experience I have and the really low points in my own life, have made me a more effective and genuine counsellor and certainly allow me to understand more fully many issues that clients present with. My clients identify this too and tell me that they have tried therapy previously and they find it comforting to finally speak to someone who understands and really cares about helping them make the changes they desire.
Counselling people and helping them through the difficult moments in their lives has become an incredibly rewarding role and I am grateful that people trust me enough to share their personal stories and lives for a short time with me.
It can be really intimidating and difficult to find a counsellor. The most important part of counselling is finding a counsellor that you ‘click’ with. If you don’t feel that trust and level of comfort with your therapist, then you won’t get the best out of your counselling experience. Remember, it is your life, so work with someone that you feel comfortable with to get the changes you want.
What makes Sharon different from other counsellors?
- I am available to help you between sessions if you need the extra support (via email), at no cost. Most counselling services will not provide support outside of paid sessions.
- I offer a range of after-hours appointments and will, whenever possible, try to accommodate your needs.
- I help you to set clear strategies to move forward so you don’t feel that you are “just talking” and getting nowhere.
- Relationship coaching is part of the relationship work we do together.
- I help you to learn communication skills that are necessary for a good relationship.
- You are offered complete support in an empathetic and non-judgemental environment to explore how you can get the change you need.
- Life experience is an incredibly important aspect of being an effective counsellor. Through facing some significant challenges in my own life, I understand how low you can feel and how impossible change can seem. Through my life experiences I have learnt how to change my life to make it one that is truly fulfilling. Through my experience I am well placed to help you too.
- Counselling experience is naturally important. I have many years of experience and focus on my specialty areas which means I am very skilled at the areas I have chosen to work in.
- You will find it easy to talk freely of the problems you are experiencing. Often is is a relief to finally be able to talk to someone who really cares but will not judge or force opinions on you. Someone who ‘gets it’ and can then apply their professional knowledge to your situation to help you.
I continue to further my education in addition to attending professional supervision to maintain a high level of service for my clients.
Education and Training includes:
- Diploma of Professional Counselling
- Certificate in Relationships and Conflict Resolution
- Certificate in Effective Parenting
- Depression Training
- Conflict Resolution Training
- Working with Couples in Crisis training
- Pre-Marriage Counselling
- Teaching Anger Management Skills
- Using CBT with Depression
- Working with Parents
I also write a regular column for the Hills Independent District magazine on relationships and family issues.
Are you ready to take the first step to changing your life?
1. Click the Book Online button below to find the first available appointment and make an online booking; or
2. If you’re not ready to book an appointment, please call me on 0468 950 420 for a FREE 10-minute consultation to discuss your needs and find out how I can help you.