Norwest and Hills District Counsellor
a little bit about me so you can see if I might be a good fit for you.
I studied counselling in 2006 and completed this in 2009. I have worked in the Hills as a Counsellor since 2010. I specialise in relationships, both counselling and coaching, self-esteem with individuals, parenting coaching, teens with self-esteem issues which present in many different ways and I also love working with Mums who have lost their identity through parenting and forgetting how to put themselves first!
My counselling space is in a discreet location in a quiet street with plenty of available parking. Most clients love the atmosphere of the room when they come in and find it easy to relax and talk. It’s a really safe, comfortable environment.
Two of my main interests are relationships and parenting and I majored in Relationship Counselling and Conflict Resolution as well as Child Development and Effective Parenting.
I have plenty of life experience to draw on in addition to my counselling education. A Mum of 4 kids ranging in age from 18 to 11. I have my own business which I love, play soccer, we have 3 dogs, a cat we rescued and assorted other animals and am a nurturer. I love to help people. Both friends and those I am fortunate enough to meet through counselling.
Clients benefit from who I am by having a person who doesn’t judge, has the empathy to look at it from your view and genuinely wants to get to your goals with you.
It can be really intimidating and difficult to find a counsellor. The most important part of counselling is finding a counsellor that you ‘click’ with. If you don’t feel that trust and level of comfort with your therapist, then you won’t get the best out of your counselling experience. Remember, it is your life, so work with someone that you feel comfortable with to get the changes you want.
What makes Sharon different from other counsellors?
- I am available to help you between sessions if you need the extra support (via email), at no cost. Most counselling services will not provide support outside of paid sessions.
- My costs are slightly lower than the area sets simply because I have an office and waiting room attached to my home with a completely separate entrance. I pass the savings of not paying exorbitant rent onto my clients. Most people love the set up here feeling it is private and comfortable.
- I help you to set clear strategies to move forward so you don’t feel that you are “just talking” and getting nowhere.
- I have the ability to connect with most teens and if needed we will take the counselling session outdoors for a walk to enable an easier way for teens to open up. I thank for my kids for this skill, they taught me how to ‘talk teen’ effectively!
- Relationship coaching is part of the relationship work we do together, you learn tools not just talking.
- I help you to learn communication skills that are necessary for a good relationship.
- You are offered complete support in an empathetic and non-judgemental environment to explore how you can get the change you need.
- Counselling experience is naturally important. I have many years of experience and focus on my specialty areas which means I am very skilled at the areas I have chosen to work in. I don’t work in areas that I have no experience.
- You will find it easy to talk freely of the problems you are experiencing. Often is is a relief to finally be able to talk to someone who really cares but will not judge or force opinions on you. Someone who ‘gets it’ and can then apply their professional knowledge to your situation to help you. Someone who you feel ‘is on your side’.
I continue to further my education in addition to attending professional supervision to maintain a high level of service for my clients.
Education and Training includes:
- Diploma of Professional Counselling
- Certificate in Relationships and Conflict Resolution
- Certificate in Effective Parenting
- Depression Training
- Conflict Resolution Training
- Working with Couples in Crisis training
- Pre-Marriage Counselling
- Teaching Anger Management Skills
- Using CBT with Depression
- Working with Parents
I also write a regular column for the Hills Independent District magazine on relationships and family issues.
Are you ready to take the first step to changing your life?
Click the Book Online button below to find the first available appointment and make an online booking