Marriage Counsellor, Relationship Counselling and Individual Counsellor
I studied counselling and completed this in 2009. I have worked based in the Hills as a Counsellor since 2010. I specialise in relationships, both counselling and coaching, self-esteem with individuals, parenting coaching, older teens with self-esteem issues which present in many different ways. I also love working with Mums who have lost their identity through parenting and forgetting how to put themselves first!
Prior to the Coronavirus event, I saw clients both face to face and remotely. During the lockdown phase we all lived through, I supported existing clients through online counselling using Zoom and via the phone for those who preferred that. This was such a success for everyone that my clients expressed a wish to continue counselling using the online forum as it was so easy to access rather than getting baby sitting, leaving work early or navigating traffic!
Using this information, I now provide all my counselling services through Zoom or phone and the big benefit has been that I have handed on ALL of the savings to my clients for not needing to pay rent. This is a significant reduction in the cost of counselling with me.
Two of my main interests are relationships and parenting and I majored in Relationship Counselling and Conflict Resolution as well as Child Development and Effective Parenting.
I have plenty of life experience to draw on in addition to my counselling education. I live in the Hills District with my partner and our 4 kids ranging in age from 19 to 12. I have my own business which I love, play soccer, we have 3 dogs, a cat we rescued and assorted other animals. I love to help both animals and people. You may see my dogs bouncing around behind me as we talk, they like to be as near to me as possible and used to help me in face to face sessions back in the day.
Clients benefit from who I am by having a person who doesn’t judge (life experience will do that to you), has the empathy to look at it from your view and genuinely wants to get to your goals with you. I will be there to support you and check in with you when you are doing it tough as we all do at times.
It can be really intimidating and difficult to find a counsellor. The most important part of counselling is finding a counsellor that you ‘click’ with. If you don’t feel that trust and level of comfort with your therapist, then you won’t get the best out of your counselling experience. Remember, it is your life, so work with someone that you feel comfortable with to get the changes you want.
What makes me different from other counsellors?
- I am very experienced and very good at what I do.
- I am available to help you between sessions if you need the extra support (via email), at no cost. Most counselling services will not provide support outside of paid sessions.
- My costs are very low compared to what the area sets, simply because I have chosen to hand on the savings of an office to you.
- I help you to set clear strategies to move forward so you don’t feel that you are “just talking” and getting nowhere.
- Relationship coaching is part of the relationship work we do together, you learn tools not just talking.
- I help you to learn communication skills that are necessary for a good relationship.
- You are offered complete support in an empathetic and non-judgemental environment to explore how you can get the change you need.
- Counselling experience is naturally important. I have many years of experience and focus on my specialty areas which means I am very skilled at the areas I have chosen to work in. Unlike many counsellors, I won’t work in areas that I have no experience and will let you know if I feel I am not suitable for you.
- You will find it easy to talk freely of the problems you are experiencing. Often is is a relief to finally be able to talk to someone who really cares but will not judge or force opinions on you. Someone who ‘gets it’ and can then apply their professional knowledge to your situation to help you. Someone who you feel ‘is on your side’.
I continue to further my education in addition to attending professional supervision to maintain a high level of service for my clients.
Education and Training includes:
- Diploma of Professional Counselling
- Certificate in Relationships and Conflict Resolution
- Certificate in Effective Parenting
- Depression Training
- Conflict Resolution Training
- Working with Couples in Crisis training
- Pre-Marriage Counselling
- Teaching Anger Management Skills
- Using CBT with Depression
- Working with Parents
I also write a regular column for the Hills Independent District magazine on relationships and family issues.
Are you ready to take the first step to changing your life?
Click the Book Online button below to find the first available appointment and make an online booking